Friday, March 23, 2007

New Tunnel

A mole digs through a field exploring everything from within the soil catching pray along the way and at surface entrances feeding its young crossing and recrossing its own tunnels and utilizing preexisting ones? If you are a Geek like me, you are a mole. Your field(s) is/are filled with Geek Tunnels that you often dig into sometimes you are so deep or away from the surface for so long the other animals actually worry as to your well being ... think “Wind in the Willows” meets the Borg … it isn't very creative, but it is my internal imagining of myself ... I wonder if that would make my totem a bionic mole?

Well after just three months, I am one week from ending one contract and starting a new one. The first change included a drop in commute from a 52 mile 1.5 hr run to a 25 mile 45 min run. The new gig is 1.6 miles from the house.
I do hope to make this a 3 to 5 year project. If all is as has been reported, I will be stepping back into the fast pace I am so used to, and also taking on management and mentoring responsibilities by title and job description not just as part of "all other tasks as assigned".

A lot of VB, VB.Net, ANSI SQL(MS T-SQL, Oracle PL\SQL) in client/server windows applications and web-enabled database application. I have 10 years in the field digging through the Geek Tunnels of Relational Database Management Systems (design, development, documentation, optimization, implementation, etc.), and building/generating/developing/debugging/optimizing the Applications and Reporting around them. I have just as many years in the field acting as a mentor and/or manager depending on the given job and an even more years experience in those two roles prior to my entering the technical field of database application development.

It will be a challenge to see if I can gradually lead the new troop towards C#, but until then I will have plenty to learn and do.

No comments: