Saturday, April 14, 2007

Zoo and Arc

I just spent the day at the Zoo with my dear wife, our children and my wife’s girl friend. I believe a wonderful time was had by all and it was good to spend some time in communication with dw and dwf. My dw is as I have known since we begin to date sexually and sensually more identifiable as lesbian then anything else. We have been committed partners, friends, lovers and parents for over a decade and continue to be so, but now we are opening up to the possibility that dw may have found a partner to complete that segment of her internal puzzle for which I could never satisfy. It is for me actually a great pleasure to see my wife reposed in a sense of completeness to which her companionship has long placed me. dwf too seems quite content with dw’s partnership though admittedly somewhat overwhelmed by the dynamics involved. I grew up around individual family unites that where anything but your typical Anglo-Saxon North Eastern Male/Female monogamous nightmare and have never had much of an inclination to force or encourage anyone into what for we would be a bizarre self inflicted masochism. Of course, the arc of our intimate relationships which places dw in the middle of dwf and I is of a concern to all of us. None of us wishes to be a stumbling block to the others and neither dwf nor I wish to cause dw to feel pulled or forced in one direction. I personally hope to celebrate with dw our twenty year anniversary in another decade while dw and dwf are celebrating their first decade together. As long as we always to the absolute best we can and make amends when we fail to do so, I think we will be fine.
Back to the Zoo and our awesome children! Our boy (4 yr) and our girl (2 yr) had a wonderful action packed time! We explored ever nook and cranny of the Baltimore Zoo today and found time to experience life as a bat, turtle, chimpanzee, and warthog! Our girl was particularly fond of the bats though not at all thrilled with the cave. Our boy was completely enthralled by the Marsh exhibit and the tree slide. He found the rope bridge very uncomforting. I personally loved it because it reminded me of one I used to cross each year in Wyoming with much trepidation. What was a moderately intense event for me as a child is now something of great nostalgic value. Our boy also found himself very well suited to the farm exhibit; indeed the animals that shied away from other children came immediately to him. It is quite interesting to see how this bundle of frenetic energy can immediately silence into absolute stillness to calm, comfort and coddle another beast.

The traditional metals for a ten year anniversary tin and aluminum because they are flexible; they can bend and do not break. I love that analogy.

No comments: