Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Visual Studio - hexadecimal editor

I have a project that parses large text files from one third-party source into a bunch of small text files for another third-party printer interface.
Using Regular Expression and Hexadecimal File Editors have been a base necessity.
For example, almost none of the newer print systems use a Form Feed - character code 12 in decimal (0xC in hexadecimal) - Chr(12) -Regular Expression \f - Hexadecimal View 0C
Of course, the third-party printer interface in this scenario required the Form Feed be kept in position.

Nearly every six months, like this week, another alteration is asked for and I find myself back in the code.



Due to the infrequency of use, I find it difficult to keep the details of Regular Expression syntax in my head so I use Expresso from Ultrapico (http://www.ultrapico.com/) which does an excellent job of translating what I want into a .NET Framework Language code snippet.

For my project development I use Visual Studio 2008 SP1 which has as much of a hexadecimal editor "Binary Editor" as I need.

=============================
Visual Studio - hexadecimal editor

Go to File -> Open -> file

Select the file that you want to open, the Open button state will change to enable

Click the small drop down list at the right of the Open button and select Open With

You will get a list of additional editors, choose Binary Editor

http://francoisbeaussier.blogspot.com/2007/04/visual-studio-has-also-hexadecimal.html

No comments: